WordPress Back-End Developer
AwanaStreamwood, IL 14d ago
At Awana, we believe true change happens in the communities when children and youth are transformed through Biblical discipleship and in the presence of a caring adult. We believe that kids can come to know, love and serve Jesus, following Him for a lifetime. This is why, for almost 70 years, Awana has been working with leaders in local churches in the US and around the world; providing solutions that equip these women and men to make disciples in children and youth.
Today, God is using Awana in currently reaching over 4 million kids in 122 countries around the world. With over 500,000 equipped leaders in 54,000 churches, Awana is able to play a vital role in global evangelism and discipleship of children and youth.
The WordPress Back-End Developer is responsible for technical development of assigned Awana applications in order to provide responsible stewardship and to champion their enhancement. This includes solutioning, hands-on development, code review, and other technical responsibilities pursuant to strongly supporting and building Awana applications.
TO BE CONSIDERED, PLEASE SUBMIT PORTFOLIO WITH APPLICATION/RESUME.
- Works with the Awana applications development team at a standard reflective of Awana’s heart for mission and customer satisfaction.
- Writes detailed technical and functional specifications documentation for client deliverables.
- Writes and develops code for development tasks and tickets on a regular basis
- Conducts unit tests, code reviews, refactoring of current code. Works with the eCommerce team to assess and improve site performance and security.
- Creates appropriate documentation when necessary.
- Communicates with internal IT teams to resolve technical dependencies and integration points during implementation and troubleshooting.
- Tracks and troubleshoots issues and other problems related to web properties, communicating where necessary with the appropriate staff to ensure that they are addressed in a timely and comprehensive manner.
- Collaborates with project managers, stakeholders, and product owners to ensure the goals and deliverables of the site are met.
- Discovers, masters and shares learnings on emerging technologies and techniques with the development team.
- Actively responds to communications from customers and constituents.
- Participates in team and departmental meetings, periodic reviews of other team members’ work, team brainstorming and annual individual goal setting process.
- Supports, upholds and demonstrates the Awana cultural values in internal and external communications and relationships.
- Performs other related duties as may be required from time to time.
- High school diploma or GED required.
- 3-5 years experience working as a backend web developer on web properties.
- 3+ years experience working on WordPress sites.
- A comprehensive understanding of what it takes to write secure and performant code.
- Ability to plan and prioritize, manage and complete multiple workflow activities on time and within budget.
- Ability to demonstrate superior customer service standards and practices.
- Ability to communicate clearly and effectively both verbally and in writing.
- Proficiency in the following:
- Knowledge of the following:
- Woocommerce administration/development
- Continuous integration and automated deployment pipelines
- Agile methodology and JIRA
- Database performance troubleshooting and data architecture
- Website security tools and best practices
- Must be a born-again Christian.
- Must have a personal relationship with Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior.
- Must be in agreement with the Awana Doctrinal Statement.
- Must be in fellowship with the body of Christ through a local church.
- Regularly engages in God’s Word as a guide and standard for living.
Physical Demands/Working Conditions
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk, hear and spend a significant portion of the workday performing work using a computer screen and keyboard. The employee is occasionally required to stand, walk, and sit. Specific vision abilities required by this job also include close vision.